INSTRUMENTS: TRUMPET, CORNET, Flugelhorn, Tenor Horn, Baritone, Euphonium, Fanfare and CLairon
In more than 10 years as instrumental and music tutor I have helped numerous beginners and intermediate musicians on their journey of becoming more proficient players, both in one-on-one lessons, as well as in small ensembles. To me, a solid theoretical education goes hand in hand with instrumental tuition, and exploring different genres of repertoire from an early stage is key to developing the student's own musical tastes, interests and personal strengths.
In my lessons, I aim to pick up the student at any stage of their musical and technical development, and provide them with all the tools they need to steadily grow as musicians, and push their technique to the next level, whilst keeping their motivation, their joy with the instrument and ensemble playing in focus, too.
- One-on-one Lessons:
- Further technical development of the student on their instrument, based on the abilities, strengths and weaknesses of the individual player
Repertoire from all genres and epochs, with a focus on the players long-term interest (From Early Music, Renaissance to Pop and Jazz)
- Preparation of Solo recitals for public performance for advanced player
- Group and ensemble work:
- Preparation of duo, trio and chamber music works to enhance the student's abilities as an ensemble player and raise musical awareness, provide them with performance experience and promote them as performing instrumentalists
- Advanced players will be given the chance to perform with one of the ensembles within the Downes & Wolf Holding and the un poco network, e. g. The King's Philharmonic Wind Orchestra where they will get the chance to work with aspiring professionals and present a challenging repertoire of orchestral classics, as well as newly commissioned compositions, both in their home town as well as on tour.
- Workshops and Masterclasses for advanced students from experienced professionals within the un poco network in addition to their work with their instrumental teacher in order to provide them with a variety of ideas, and broaden their technical and musical development from a range of perspectives.
- Technical studies in order to develop and enhance skills in:
- Embouchure and Stamina
- Tone quality
- Lip Flexibility and Accuracy
- Tongue flexibility
- Fingering Techniques
- Rhythmical studies
- Pitch perfection
- Etudes, Concerts and Tutor Books (examples)
- For Beginners:
- Horst Rapp: Trompetenschule für Anfänger, Vol. 1+2
- Tobias Wolf: Trumpet studies for Beginners (self-published)
- Intermediate and Advanced:
- Allen Vizzuti: Trumpet Method, Book 1 Technical Studies
- J. B. Arban: Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet
- as well as Clarke, Quinque, Colin, Groth, and others
- Etudes by Böhme, Arban, Charlier, and others
- Concerts by Haydn, Hummel, Arutjunian, Hindemith, Telemann, and others
- For Beginners:
Instrument hire and buyer's guide
Providing the students with an instrument they are enjoying to play and that fits their individual abilities is crucial for the development on the instrument, and to keep frustration to a minimum.
There are a limited number of instruments available for hire from the un poco network. Together with the student (and parents) I will provide my full support when in comes to such an important decision as to which instrument will suit the abilities and aspirations of the player, as well as keeping the financial impact bearable. Within the Downes & Wolf Holding, we have connections to a range of trumpet makers and I am happy to guide you on the way of getting your own instrument and put you in touch with the companies and instrument makers that can help with this.
Consultations and Workshops
Trumpet, Cornet, Flugelhorn, Tenor Horn, Baritone, Euphonium, Fanfare and Clairon
Wind ensembles, Military bands and drum corps, Symphonic orchestras, Choirs and vocal coaching, language coaching (German, Latin, English), Chamber Ensembles, School Ensembles
Conducting (Orchestral, Wind, Choral), Performance and musicianship, Music Theory, Community music
One of the most enjoyable aspects of my work as a musician, is that I have the opportunity to travel and work with people and ensembles not only in Scotland, but in the whole United Kingdom, Germany, and across Europe. Particularly during the summer months, I am open to work with you individually or with your ensemble in one or more of the mentioned fields above. Please get in touch with me so we can find the right solution specially tailored to you.